Mental health is so important both in and out of the workplace, yet many companies still don’t prioritize establishing the necessary programs to support their people. In fact, recent studies show that nearly 70% of professionals feel their employer does not do enough to support mental health in the workplace. As a result of this, employee burnout has become a common issue across workplaces as well as a health concern. In this article, we will explore causes for employee burnout, what it looks like, and how we prioritize mental health and work-life balance at TBG.
What is Employee Burnout?
The World Health Organization (WHO) officially recognizes burnout in its International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11). The WHO clearly stated that it is not classified as a medical condition, but rather as an occupational phenomenon.
While employee burnout is not formally considered a mental illness, it is widely considered a health concern as it may increase the risk of more serious illnesses such as depression, anxiety disorders or chronic fatigue syndrome.
According to the WHO, employee burnout signs may include feelings of energy depletion or exhaustion, increased mental distance from one’s job, feelings of negativism or cynicism related to one’s job, and/or a sense of ineffectiveness and lack of accomplishment.
Employee burnout has many causes and can happen to employees regardless of age or experience level. According to Indeed, common reasons for this phenomenon include overworking, unrealistic expectations or goals, lack of clarity or communication regarding role responsibilities, and/or unfair or biased treatment while at work.
Prioritizing Mental Health at The Bonadio Group
At TBG, we value mental health and prioritize work-life balance. Our firm recognizes how demanding the public accounting industry can be, so we provide a variety of benefits intended to encourage mental health, balance, and relaxation.
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Although we have many attractive benefits at the firm, our Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO) policy has risen to the top in popularity. Adopting this methodology has given our people the flexibility to maintain a healthy work-life balance, with the peace of mind of not having to prioritize or keep track of PTO hours. It has empowered our people to manage their schedules as the professionals they are. While many companies have started implementing this policy, our firm truly abides by it and enables our people to take full advantage.
- Half-Day Summer Fridays
- Over a decade ago, we implemented half-day Summer Fridays to support and encourage well-deserved time off. Bonadio offices close at Noon each Friday from Memorial Day to Labor Day, which allows our people to enjoy a jumpstart to the weekend and time to unwind. The accounting profession can be demanding and it's our number one priority to recognize and reward our people with benefits that acknowledge their lives outside of the workplace.
- Flexible Work Model
- Our Flexible Work Model is designed to encourage and support flexibility and work-life balance for our People because we know how important it is to be able to spend time focusing on the things you love. While we still strongly believe that face-to-face interactions are critical to foster deep colleague and client relationships, we aim to empower our People to make their own decisions about how and where they work.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- We also offer a comprehensive Employee Assistance Program (EAP) that is available to our employees and members of their households, at no cost. Support and resources can assist with caregiver or personal stress, child or elder care solutions, anxiety, and more. All services are private and confidential.
- “Mental Health Mondays”
- We know how demanding the traditional busy season can be for our People, which is why we introduced a segment on our intranet called “Mental Health Mondays.” Each Monday throughout “busy season,” the Wellness Committee shared topics and resources dedicated to mental health. Some of the topics included the power of positivity, self-care tips at your desk, the benefits of meditation, and more!
- As a firm, we subscribe to Wellbeats, which is a virtual fitness, mindfulness, and nutrition resource center. Our employees have unlimited access to various resources such as yoga and meditation classes.